Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Fork in the Road....(RP)

Wow!!! Amazing post. Thank you so much! I got to that fork in the road and new I had to make a final decision...

live in permanent misery and die earlier from smoking?

or

live in temporary discomfort and live every day to the fullest and for a longer time?

I chose the latter!

Adam~D43~NOPT


REPOST~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fork in the road.

I often think what I would be like today if I hadn’t quit smoking almost four years ago. I imagine myself walking up to the still smoking me who is now on oxygen standing out in the cold on the street smoking because that’s the only place you can smoke anymore. I walk up on this other version of me and simply ask why. I start yelling at this other me saying look at yourself your killing us. You stink you can’t hardly breathe your carrying around oxygen and you look like death.

That’s when the other you says in a raspy voice, there’s no point stopping now I only have a few months left to live. I have been diagnosed with untreatable lung cancer and with our health I have no chance of a transplant.

Why didn’t I quit when I had the chance the other you says through tears. Then the other you says the same lame excuses you once made before quitting. It was just too hard, I was under too much stress, I was going to quit when life calmed down.

Well you say to the other you, If you had quit look what you would have become. I go to the gym four days a week. I can run over two miles without stopping. I don’t smell like an ashtray. I get to do fun things like hike with my kids, ride my bike to work and all with little effort. I don’t have to carry that oxygen around and struggle for my next breath. With a little courage and a ton of will power this too could have been your future.

All you can do is shake your head at the other you and gladly walk away from what could have been your fate. When will that other you happen? How many chances are you willing to give that other you? When will the next slip be the one that finally decides your fate and now it’s too late?
Don’t be that version that has to face that future.

Stay strong dont let the other you win and NO MATTER WHAT… DON’T SMOKE!!

Wolf D 1393

No comments:

Post a Comment