Thursday, October 26, 2017

What keeps me going.

For every person it's different, and I feel we know those things we want to implement into our lives that smoking takes away from.

Emotionally I know if I smoke or drink I go back down the rabbit whole of feeling really sorry for myself. I'm already a sensitive dude, then I cut myself off more. I call off of work. My money disappears. I binge drink. I gain weight. I don't work out.

For me it's where I plan on going in life physically and spiritually, that sets me up to stay 100% smoke free. I pray multiple times a day. I try and stay thankful. I put the work into this thing. I have a marathon coming up late November I am training for. In April I am also doing a 50 mile trail race. You can't substitute anything for smoking, but you can change what your mind is set on and what matters. These things matter more for me. You have to find those things that matter more than smoking.

Smoking really doesn't offer anything other than smokey dizziness and addiction where you have to replenish what you just put in or you feel off, you get grumpy. It all becomes clear when you really, truly are sick and tired. When I feel down, that's the only time I think "hey, this when I used to smoke", and I realize the only time I wanted to smoke was when I felt sorry for myself. I was feeding negativity. Smoking was me validating those thoughts that "I'm not good enough, I'm not worth it, the universe is against me, I can't quit these sickerettes." Now that I don't smoke, I don't have that bully of a reminder telling me I'm worthless every time I take a puff.

Maybe this rings true to some of you. It's the truth behind what was going on for me, and knowing that is what keeps me away from those nasty things. Life is already tough enough. Add in that abuse and it makes it that much harder to function and have a healthy, happy life. I don't know if I answered your question. Just started rambling, but something's gotta change for you guys, and it's up to you to take the steps to do it. My quit won't change whether you guys smoke or not. It should be the same for you!

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment