Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Accepting Discomfort is the Golden Ticket out of Hell (RP)

Simply put, the best way out is to ride the craves. Don't try and hide from them, accept them and realize you don't have to act upon them. Do not fear them, and they will come to respect the fact that you don't need them, and they will dissolve over time, knowing it is pointless to come knock on your door.

Adam

(RP)
We addicts really don't like discomfort. Sure, we endure all kinds of life stuff - divorces, hurt kids, job losses, bad bosses, etc. and we'd like to think we're tough dealing with all that.

But the fact is, when we start to crave that next sickarette we becoming really whiny babies on the inside. We can't STAND the discomfort and wanting...and we do whatever we need to do in order to have that temporary "fix."

Let me tell you a little secret about a successful quit for some of us.

ACCEPTING DISCOMFORT IS A GOLDEN TICKET OUT OF HELL.

Once I said it's okay to feel like crap, I don't have to DO anything about it, I don't have to react in any way to anything, I can lay here like a slug and just let the feelings wash over me knowing I will survive the discomfort (I mean, no one in history has ever died from a craving....though people do die from smoking by the thousands every day)....once I ACCEPTED that discomfort was a normal, natural part of the process and I was going to brave it.......everything got a lot easier.

You're not going to feel fabulous in 3 days. You're not going to feel amazing (consistently) in 3 weeks. 3 Months down the road you may have crappy days. Accept it and don't smoke anyway.

You WILL realize one day in the not too distant future that you are no longer uncomfortable, you no longer crave, and you made it to the other side.

ONLY if you don't take one single puff.

Hang tough....you got this!!!



Carly
d1066

No comments:

Post a Comment