Tuesday, May 6, 2014

It's Not Forever (RP)

I just needed this reminder today, and from no better person than Gummer can this message get across. Here at the beginning of my quit, I have to take everything with a grain of salt and keep reminding myself that I am here because I smoked for 18 years, not because I quit smoking. As time goes by, things will level out, and we no longer will have the need to try and blame things on the fact we quit smoking...which is a lie in itself!

Adam

(RP)

Gummer

==============================================

It`s not forever
From gummer on 8/6/2008 2:45:44 PM

This quitting thing. Really, it`s not forever. At some point it will become an event that you put behind you and wonder why you ever bothered to smoke for so long. Well, the answer to that is clear: addiction, plain and simple, that is the reason you smoked, and that is what you are overcoming now.

Will you be an addict forever? I have no idea. The thought can paralyze you when you first quit, that thought that you can never, ever smoke again. And there is some truth about that... you can`t. But what you do not see now is that after quitting (and I mean the whole process, not just stopping smoking) you most likely will find you do not want to smoke any more, so whether you can or can`t will not matter to you one bit, it will be of no consequence. It`s like I can`t jump out of a second floor window... do I really care? No. Well, it`s the same with smoking, I`m not going to miss something I have no desire to do in the first place.

So don`t let your current struggle and your fears about the future get in the way of success. Just because things are hard now, it does not mean they will be so in the future. You were born not smoking... you poisoned yourself with nicotine and got hooked... and all you are doing now is correcting that, returning to your natural state. It is a phase with a beginning, a middle, and an end. The act of quitting is a temporary event, an adjustment, and when you get through it you will get back to normal. And don`t tell me you don`t know what normal is any more -- you`ll now it well enough when you get there... when you no longer think about smoking, or about quitting.

Gummer

No comments:

Post a Comment