Sunday, May 25, 2014

I just want to feel normal again (RP)

This post is a great reminder that we are finding a "new" normal now, and that we have to be patient with ourselves. Our "new and improved" normal is fueled with a stronger and smarter set of beliefs and wisdom. We will rise to the top...one day at a time we climb that mountain of freedom!

Adam
D26
NOPT

REPOST~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I just want to feel NORMAL again!
From sallysails on 11/18/2010 8:18:01 AM
 

I wrote this over 3 years ago....New quitters, please know that what you're feeling now is so temporary. You WILL get through this :)

I just want to feel NORMAL again!
From sallysails on 11/3/2007 8:34:40 AM

I just want to feel NORMAL again!

I see lots of folks saying that. I said it. I thought it constantly for a few months after quitting. Around 3 months, I became depressed because I would never be NORMAL again. I thought I would never enjoy life again.

When we quit smoking we're doing a whole lot more than simply ceasing to ignite a tobacco filled tube. We are withdrawing from an addictive substance. One that wove its way into almost every aspect of our lives. The withdrawal process takes time. And we must be patient with ourselves. This is an instant gratification world we live in. We want it, and we want it easily, and we want it now.

When we made the DECISION to quit smoking that meant that we wanted to improve our lives. Already, that is not our old normal. Remember, our old normal was to feed our addiction. Our old normal was to build our lives around feeding that addiction.

So, we will never be our OLD NORMAL again. Thank goodness. We all are rebuilding our NEW & IMPROVED lives. And we will settle into our NEW & IMPROVED NORMAL. That's a very big deal. And it will take some time. And there will be frustration, tears, anger, depression. Weight gain, ugh. But there are also many, many great things, like white teeth, bright skin, fresh smelling house, clothes and car, more free time, self confidence. So please be patient and open minded. Because once you decide to improve your life, you must give yourself time to let the improvement happen.

And one day, in the not too distant future, you will look back on your smoking days and be very thankful that you no longer feel your "old normal".

Cheers,
Sally
enjoying my New & Improved Normal at 280 days
(and now simply estatic at 1391 days....my New & Improved Normal is now ME!!!! and it feels terrific! So very worth the initial days of feeling uncomfortable.)

No comments:

Post a Comment