Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Day #42...Grandma has COPD




My grandma quit smoking 50 years ago and she has recently come down with COPD. She is getting close to 90 now. I don't know how much longer she has along with some other ailments she has. I found this all out when visiting for thanksgiving and she was coughing and sputtering the whole time :(

She's getting up there and living is getting tough. I've always known her to be active, walk daily, eat healthy but in old age, COPD still snuck it's way in the picture :(

Her dog Skippy died recently. I didn't know until I sat my coke on the side table and saw the box of his ashes. Skippy was my Aunt Marilyn's dog originally, but she died of liver failure at age 38 from alcoholism and pill abuse. I know how hard that must be for my grandma. She has taken care of the dog since her daughter, my aunt died about 12 years ago. It's what she had left of her child :(

I'm just mentioning this because I didn't think I had a troubled smoking story to tell. My grandma has lived an awesome life, and is still going, but even 50 years later smoking is still a factor of why she has COPD I'm sure. She smoked for around 25-30 years.

I've been feeling sick on and off since I quit and it's been a bit depressing. I know it's part of the healing process, I just hope I haven't done any long term damage. I have quit, but wish I would've 10 years ago. Can't look back now though...we can only move forward and do what we can with what we have!

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment